Skip to main content

Licensure Disclosures

Students enrolling in a program that leads to a professional license are entitled to information regarding the licensure requirements in the state for which the student intends to obtain employment. Coastal Alabama offers several health programs that lead to occupations that may require licensure or certification for employment. The following is information regarding the requirements for licensure or certifications in all the states in the United States for those health programs offered by Coastal Alabama.


Find your state's dental assistant requirements for licensing, testing and renewal at the following website: : The information on this site is compiled by the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) in conjunction with state dental boards. These pages provide information on how to become a licensed dental assistant, registered dental assistant, or expanded functions dental assistant. Each state has its own job titles as indicated on each state page.

Certified Dental Assisting certification consists of three component exams: the DANB Infection Control Exam, DANB Radiation and Safety Exam, and DANB General Chairside Exam. These three exams are taken by students in Coastal Alabama’s Dental Assisting Program as part of the curriculum. Passing all three exams is a requirement for obtaining certification to practice as a Certified Dental Assistant.


Find your state’s Basic Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT), and Paramedic requirements for licensing at the following website: ZCfEH7RuTOhs9zp5JLrsOIPTsrPOBcF3i56ZIlM/edit?usp=sharing. Please note in the website provided that some states do not recognize the advanced emergency medical technician position. For those states, individuals are employed as basic EMTs or paramedics only; thus, a person employed as an AEMT in Alabama would be employed as a basic EMT in a state that does not recognize AEMT.

Coastal Alabama Community College prepares students to take the National Registry Exam for each respective program (NREMT).  In order to obtain National EMS Certification, candidates must meet the current entry requirements. The National Registry Board developed these requirements to seek uniformity across the nation. Generally, these requirements regard age, education, certificate(s) which demonstrate competency (i.e. CPR), review of any criminal convictions or disciplinary action, and examination requirements.

Individuals applying for EMT, AEMT, or paramedic national certification must have: 

  • completed a state-approved course that meets the National Emergency Medical Services Education Standards within the past two years
  • hold current CPR-BLS for Healthcare Provider or the equivalent credential
  • successfully completed the National Registry cognitive (computerized exam through Pearson Vue) and state approved psychomotor (skills) exams. Coastal Alabama is approved for administering the psychomotor exam.

While certification indicates an entry level competency standard has been met, state licensure is what gives individuals the right to work in a particular capacity. Nationally Certified EMS providers who are not state licensed cannot practice. After obtaining National EMS Certification, individuals must obtain a license to work from the state EMS office in the state(s) for which the individual plans to practice. Information for each state EMS office can be found at


Information regarding the requirements for nursing licensure in each state can be found at the following website:

Uniform licensure requirements for every state in the U.S. is provided by the NCSBN at the following website: Uniform Licensure Requirements (ULRs) are the essential prerequisites for initial, endorsement, renewal and reinstatement licensure needed across every state to ensure the safe and competent practice of nursing. ULRs protect the public by setting consistent standards and promoting a health care system that is fluid and accessible by removing barriers to care and maximizing portability for nurses. They also assure the consumer that a nurse in one state has met the requirements of the nurses in every other state. ULRs support the fact that the expectations for the education of a nurse and the responsibilities of a nurse are the same throughout every NCSBN member board jurisdiction in the United States.

All students who successfully complete a Coastal Alabama Community College nursing program, practical nursing and/or associate degree nursing, are eligible to sit for the respective NCSBN licensure exam. Students may apply for licensure at any state of choice at the completion of their nursing program at Coastal Alabama, but may only apply to one state for initial licensure. The NCSBN licensure exam is the same exam whether taken in Alabama or Alaska; the state for which the exam is taken does not matter. Once licensed, graduates may apply for additional licensure at any state in the U.S.


As of 2019, the following states require surgical technologists to earn their certification as a surgical technologist (CST): Arkansas, Indiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, While certification indicates an entry level competency standard has been met, state licensure is what gives individuals the right to work in a particular capacity. Nationally Certified EMS providers who are not state licensed cannot practice. After obtaining National EMS Certification, individuals must obtain a license to work from the state EMS office in the state(s) for which the individual plans to practice. Information for each state EMS office can be found South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. Colorado, the District of Columbia, Texas, and Washington require surgical technologists to be registered before working in their states. Even though some states do not require CST certification, some employers require certification for employment as a surgical technologist. For example, some hospitals in Mobile, Alabama require certification, even though it is not a state requirement.

In order to take the certification exam, an individual must have successfully completed an accredited surgical technology program. Coastal Alabama Community College’s Surgical Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP). The CST exam is given in Coastal Alabama’s Surgical Technology Program as part of the curriculum. Students who pass the exam are awarded the title of CST.


Each state has different requirements for credentialing veterinary technicians. Most state agencies use the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) to evaluate the competency of entry-level veterinary technicians and require a passing score for a veterinary technician to be credentialed. Most states and provinces require that VTNE candidates be graduates of a veterinary technology program accredited by the American or Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA-CVTEA or CVMA). Coastal Alabama’s Veterinary Technician program is accredited by the CVTEA. Graduates of Coastal Alabama’s program are eligible to sit for the VTNE exam.

To confirm regulations for practicing as a veterinary technician in any U.S. state, consult the website: Three states allow On-the-Job Training (OJT) or alternate degrees for VTNE eligibility; Alaska, California, and Wisconsin. Confirmation of the alternate pathway requirements for these states may be found at this website as well. To confirm eligibility to for the VTNE exam in each state, visit the website:

The National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA) states the following regarding differences between Veterinary Technician/Technologist, Veterinary Technician or Technologist Specialist, and Veterinary Assistant:

"The veterinary Technicians and technologists are educated to be the veterinarian’s nurse, laboratory technician, radiography technician, anesthetist, surgical nurse and client educator. Many veterinary technicians and technologists are placed in a supervisory role in veterinary practices, research institutions and other employment options. Veterinary technicians can find employment in veterinary practices, biomedical research, zoo/wildlife medicine, industry, military, livestock health management, pharmaceutical sales, etc. Most veterinary technicians are graduates of an AVMA accredited associate's or bachelor's program and have passed the VTNE exam, while some states provide alternate routes to credentialing. The term "Veterinary Technologist" is specifically designated for bachelor's program graduates. NAVTA, through the VNI, is working to establish a standard credential that would require being a graduate from an associate's program and passing the VTNE as they enter the profession going forward."

"A veterinary technician or technologist specialist has met the same requirements as above plus spends about 75% of their time doing a specific task and has passed a specialist certification exam administered by a Specialist Academy. Currently, there are eleven academies offering specialty certification."

"The veterinary assistant may have training through a high school, college certificate program or through a distant learning program over the Internet. Most, however, are trained on the job by the veterinarian or the veterinary technician. Their role is to assist the veterinarian or the veterinary technician in their daily tasks as well as some basic duties such as setting up of equipment and cleaning of key areas in the clinic like the surgery suite. Some may be asked to do kennel cleaning and janitorial work as well. NAVTA has recently created a Approved Veterinary Assistant program."