Skip to main content

Financial Aid FAQs

Financial Aid

Coastal Alabama participates in all federal financial aid programs including, Pell grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Study and the Direct Federal Student Loan Program. In addition, there is state funding from the Alabama Student Assistance Program, as well as WIOA, Veteran’s Educational Benefits, and the College’s local scholarships and tuition waivers. 

To apply for both federal, state and institutional financial aid programs, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Learn more here

Disbursement means that all eligible financial aid funds have been applied to your account as a payment for student charges (tuition, fees, books, and on-campus housing). A refund is created when the aid disbursed is more than the charges on your account.

Yes, your financial aid may be refunded if all eligibility requirements are met.

Refund disbursement begins 2 weeks after attendance verification is completed for each term within a semester. First-time, first year undergraduate borrowers will not receive a loan disbursement until 30 calendar days after the student’s program of study begins.

You need to check your OneACCS student portal and make sure you are unconditionally admitted to the College.  Financial Aid will not show up unless you are unconditionally admitted and meeting SAP requirements.

You can check your OneACCS student portal for all financial aid requirements.

Financial aid is packaged based on a student being enrolled full-time (12 or more credit hours required for your degree program). If you enroll in less than 12 hours, your cost-of-attendance and financial aid package must be adjusted accordingly.

Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) are for dependent students. These loans are the parents’ responsibility to repay not the student. Students who are eligible may borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any financial aid. Repayment period begins within 60 days of full receipt of the loan. A student must complete the FAFSA. Parents apply for the Plus loan at A parent will have to have a credit check and should click on the “Complete Plus Request” link.

Yes. Student and parent borrowers may reduce or cancel their approved loans by completing the student and/or parent right to cancel loan form at this link.

You can view your entire financial aid history by logging into your FSA (Federal Student Aid) account. This is where you completed the FAFSA.

SAP is the minimum GPA and completion rates required to remain eligible for financial aid.  Please see Maintaining Eligibility for detailed information.

You can log into your OneACCS student portal. You will also receive an email to check the portal when your FAFSA is received.

The Department of Education requests that the Financial Aid Office verify the information provided on the FAFSA.  If selected for verification, you will need to provide additional information to the Financial Aid Office. You will need to monitor your OneACCS student portal for information.

Yes, we can.  Please visit the Professional Judgement information on the website for detailed information or contact the Financial Aid Office at 251-580-2151.

You can view your financial aid offer at any time via your OneACCS student portal. An email will be sent to your college email account and will provide instructions on accessing the financial aid package through the student portal.

Subsidized loans are need-based loans available to students enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program. The government pays the interest on behalf of the student as long as students are enrolled at least half-time in a degree-seeking program and for six months after enrollment ceases. Once payments begin, interest must begin. Payment is deferred if the student returns to school.

Unsubsidized loans are non-need-based loans available to students enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program. The government does not pay the interest to lenders on behalf of the borrowers. Repayment of the interest is the student’s responsibility from the date the loan is disbursed and may be paid or capitalized (added) to the principal balance of the loan. Repayment of principal does not begin until six months after the student drops below half-time or withdrawals completely from school. Payment is deferred if the student returns to school.

The FSA ID is created at It is a unique username and password used to log into the Federal Student Aid website and used to sign a FAFSA. The FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on the Federal Student Aid website. Each person may have only one FSA ID. It is attached to the social security number, birthdate, email, and phone number of the owner. Each FSA ID user must have a unique e-mail address.

The financial aid eligibility of an independent student is determined solely from a review of his or her own (and spouse's, if applicable) information as reported on the FAFSA. It is important to note that a student cannot simply decide to file as an independent student. He or she must meet one of the criteria for financial aid purposes to be considered independent.

The SAR is the output document created by filing a FAFSA. It contains the student’s expected family contribution (EFC) and let’s a student know if they are eligible for a Pell grant.

Log back into your FAFSA at and click the make corrections link. You will sign and resubmit the FAFSA once the corrections are made.  Allow 3 to 5 days for the corrected FAFSA to reach the Financial Aid Office.

Coastal Alabama encourages all students to complete a FAFSA. Many factors are taken into consideration when determining eligibility for financial aid. Applying just once can help you determine if you want to continue applying.  Regardless of financial need, most every student qualifies for a student loan to assist with paying for college.

001060 is Coastal Alabama Community College’s Federal School Code.

Yes. You must submit a FAFSA every school year you want to be considered for federal student aid.

The FAFSA opens on October 1 every year. Students should complete the FAFSA as early as possible for every year they plan to attend college. Coastal will begin processing new FAFSA applications in late February or early March each year. However, students who complete their FAFSA during October through January will qualify for funds that require first-come first-serve.