How to Apply - Nursing RN
STEP 1: General Admission
This process provides acceptance to Coastal Alabama Community College, but NOT the Nursing Program.
- Submit a general College Application online, if not currently enrolled.
- Select General Studies with a pathway in Health Sciences
- Submit official high school transcript or proof of GED to either the Registrar or Admissions Office
- Satisfy placement test requirements
- ACT scores or Accuplacer, and High School GPA may be used for placement.
- Must have test scores in the system in order to register for English and Math.
- Submit all official college transcripts (if other college(s) were attended or dual enrollment with another college was completed).
- Official transcripts must be submitted to either the Registrar’s Office or the Admissions Office.
Note: Although the Admissions Office allows one semester for receipt of all transcripts, the nursing program requires all transcripts be received prior to nursing program application deadline. New applicants to the college receive an acceptance letter via personal email once all requirements have been met. This letter provides students with their Student ID#, a temporary password, and Coastal Alabama email address.
STEP 2: Application to the Nursing Program Practical Nursing (PN)
Application Cycle: August 1 - October 1, for Spring Semester entry on the Thomasville or Atmore campus.
Application Cycle: January 1 - March 1, for Summer Semester entry on the Atmore campus.
Application Cycle: April 1 - June 1, for Fall Semester entry on the Atmore campus.
Associate Degree Nursing (RN): Application Cycle: August 1 - October 1, for Spring Semester entry on the Bay Minette, Brewton, or Thomasville campus.
Application Cycle: January 1 - March 1, for Summer Semester entry on the Bay Minette campus.
Application Cycle: April 1 - June 1, for Fall Semester entry on the Fairhope, Monroeville, or Brewton campus.
Nursing Mobility: Application Cycle: April 1 - June 1, for Fall Semester entry on the Bay Minette, Brewton, and Thomasville Campuses if entering NUR 209; Brewton, Fairhope, and Monroeville if entering NUR 211.
Minimum application requirements:
- Completed Nursing Program Application.
- Must be an active student in good standing (minimum 2.0 GPA) at Coastal Alabama.
- Original transcripts from all schools attended must have been submitted to the Registrar’s Office prior to application deadline.
- Must hold a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the academic core courses in the program, or cumulative 2.5 GPA if a high school student without prior college coursework.
- A minimum composite score of 18 on ACT is required for the Associate Degree (RN) program. No minimum ACT score is required for the Practical Nursing (PN) program. Submit score from the ACT residual test taken at the college, score on official high school transcript, score from ACT.org with student’s full name included, or screenshot of ACT score from student OneACCS account. To schedule an ACT residual test, click here.
- Must be eligible to take ENG 101, MTH 100, and BIO 201 if not already completed with a grade of C or higher. MTH 116 is accepted for the PN program.
- Must meet essential eligibility criteria.
A PC or MacBook laptop with a webcam, microphone, and access to high-speed internet are required for the nursing programs.
Completion of requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Review the point system used to determine program admittance. Admittance is competitive and students are admitted according to those with the highest points.