ACT Residual Test
Application for ACT Residual
Application for ACT Residual An ACT composite score of 18 or higher (writing component not required), national or residual, is required for the Associate Degree Nursing program. *No minimum ACT score is required for the Practical Nursing program. Coastal Alabama offers the ACT Residual, which means test results are provided to the college and are not released to any other agencies or colleges outside of the Alabama Community College System. ACT Residual results are emailed to the student’s Coastal Alabama email account. There is no expiration date on ACT results for the nursing application. ACT results must be attached to the nursing application. ONLY the following are accepted for ACT score:
- Official high school transcript documenting ACT score.
- Screenshot of ACT score from OneACCS account. Go to “Student Profile” then “Prior Education and Testing” (student’s full name must be included in screenshot).
- Official ACT Residual score from Coastal Alabama or other Alabama Community College in our system.
- Official ACT score from ACT.org (NOT a screenshot from the ACT website).
* Alternatively, applicants applying for the PN program may submit Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) test results for the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 admission cycles. TEAS test results must be attached to the application. TEAS test results OR ACT test results are required for a complete PN application. ACT score results (18 or higher composite) are required for a complete ADN application. Coastal Alabama does not administer the TEAS test.
ACT Prep Courses
AACT prep courses are intended to assist students in improving their overall ACT scores. ACT prep courses are offered online through Coastal Alabama’s Workforce Development Office. To register for an ACT prep course, visit the ACT Workshop page or call 251-990-0445.
ACT Prep Intensive Five (5) 4-hour weekend day live instructional sessions, over a five-week period, plus 8 hours of homework per week online with 24-7 access! The first and last weeks are Full 4-Hour Mock ACTs! The FULL ACT Prep Intensive includes all ACT Study Manuals (English, Math, Reading, and Science) and 1,250 ACT Practice Test Questions.
ACT Refresher Prep Eight (8) 4-hour weekday instructional sessions daily over a two-week period, Monday through Thursday, plus 8 hours of homework per week online with 24-7 access! The first and last days are Full 4 Hour Mock ACTs! The REFRESHER ACT Prep Intensive includes all ACT Study Manuals (English, Math, Reading, and Science) and 625 ACT Practice Test Questions.
ACT Residual Test
The ACT–Residual Test (ACT-R) measures basic essential skills in the academic content areas of English, Mathematics, Reading, and Science.
- English is allowed 45 minutes for 75 questions
- Mathematics is allowed 60 minutes for 60 questions
- Reading is allowed 35 minutes for 40 questions
- Science is allowed 35 minutes for 40 questions
The total time allotted for testing is approximately 3 hours. The ACT-R is composed of 215 multiple choice questions with four options each. Questions not answered count against the final score.
Registering for the ACT-R
Registering for the ACT-R Registration and payment for the ACT Residual test is completed online. Please use the link below to view ACT Residual test dates and registration. Once you select a date to test, you will be redirected to Coastal Alabama's Elevate platform. There you will need to create an account and can then complete your test registration and pay. The cost of the exam is $63.00. Please bring valid photo identification, a four-function calculator, and sharpened #2 pencils the day of the exam. For questions, please contact the Nursing Office at 251-580-2257.
ACT Residual Test Dates & Registration
There is a minimum 60-day waiting period before re-testing.
On the Date of Exam
- Arrive 30 minutes early to the test site.
- Present a valid government issued photo ID (driver’s license or passport) and receipt of payment.
- Bring an approved calculator (See ‘allowable calculators’ at ACT.org. Calculators are not provided) and no. 2 pencils.
- Schedule 4 hours to complete the exam (10-minute break given between each section of testing)
- Late arrivals will not be allowed to test and the test fee is not refundable.
- Registration for ACT-R is required in advance of test time.
- Missed exams are nonrefundable.
- The ACT-R score must be attached to the nursing application.
- Results of ACT-R are sent to the student’s Coastal Alabama email address.
- ACT-R scores are not used for college admission; they are used soley for nursing admittance.