Upward Bound TRIO
Upward Bound is an intensive year-round pre-college program funded by the U.S. Department of Education that focuses on the academic support and personal development of its participants during high school. It provides supplemental education, personal and academic counseling, tutoring, mentoring, career exploration, assistance with scholarships and financial aid applications, and the cultural exposure necessary for potential first-generation college students and/or economically disadvantaged youth to successfully complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
Our goal is to motivate and prepare high school students in the target area who are socially and economically underrepresented in higher education to not only complete postsecondary education but to also become leaders in their careers and professions, improve their communities and change the world.
- Academic Instruction
- Financial and Economic Literacy
- ACT/SAT Prep
- Career and College Exploration
- Personal and Academic Counseling
- Cultural Enrichment
Coastal Alabama currently hosts TRIO Upward Bound programs on its Gilbertown, Monroeville, and Thomasville campuses. A student is eligible if he/she:
- Has completed the eighth grade, is at least 13 years old but not older than 19, and will attend or is currently attending a high school in the target area:
- Gilbertown Campus: Choctaw County, Millry, and Southern Choctaw high schools
- Monroeville Campus: Hillcrest – Evergreen, J. F. Shields, and Monroe County high schools
- Thomasville Campus: Clarke County, Marengo, and Thomasville high schools
- Is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Has a need for academic support in order to pursue successfully a program of education beyond high school.
ALL of the services and activities provided by Upward Bound are at NO COST to the students or their families.
Gilbertown Campus Upward Bound Program
Sheila Skelton, Director (251) 843-5265
Monroeville Campus Upward Bound Program
Lakeshia Boykin, Director (251) 575-8388
Thomasville Campus Upward Bound Program
Augusta Watters, Director (334) 637-3155
About Federal TRIO Programs
The Federal TRIO Programs (TRIO) are Federal outreach and student services programs designed to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds. TRIO includes eight programs targeted to serve and assist low-income individuals, first-generation college students, and individuals with disabilities as they progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to postbaccalaureate programs.
TRIO includes Upward Bound, Upward Bound Math-Science, Veterans Upward Bound, Student Support Services, Talent Search, Educational Opportunity Centers, and Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement. TRIO also includes a training program for directors and staff of TRIO projects. Please visit the Federal TRIO Programs website for more information about Upward Bound and other TRIO Programs.